Tuesday 3 September 2013

Still keeping the kitchen honest...

MONDAY
I have been slowly looking through my cookbooks for new healthy meal ideas, and this one by Gwyneth Paltrow isn't bad...
I made her meatballs on Monday night using veal mince instead of the turkey mince she used...
I don't think I've ever put so much green into a meatball mix before! To 500g (1 lb) of meat I added one cup of rocket (arugula), half a cup of basil, half a cup of parsley, and handfuls of other greens I could find as I didn't have all the ones she used.
I also made a fresh tomato sauce and served it with the meatballs over the last of our sour dough  bread, which I grilled with garlic and butter. No photo because it was late and the light in the kitchen is ghastly for night photos.

Dessert was an absolutely YUMMY strawberry & rhubarb crumble...

 I've never put those two together in a recipe before, but this will have an encore performance very soon, especially whilst its strawberry season...

TUESDAY

Bread baking day...
...this time with lovely pumpkin seeds studded across the top like a hedgehog...

I wanted to use up what was on hand for Tuesday's dinner, so I cleaned out the veggie tray in the fridge before I shop again on Wednesday.
Corn fritters are a wonderful breakfast food, but we like them as a main. I start by removing the kernels from two corn cobs...

Then I chopped up the remaining coriander and parsley, and grated my zucchini...

Finely diced spring onions, and sun dried tomatoes were added next...

...then a cup of spelt flour, a tablespoon of cornflour, some Celtic sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.

Final step is to add filtered water until the ingredients until they come together.

I drop tablespoons into melted butter and fry them. We had these for dinner alongside the leftover baked potatoes from Sunday, and the last of our bacon. 

I fried the bacon and potatoes in a little olive oil until the potatoes were crisp. Dinner was wonderful!
We finished off the day enjoying the last of the strawberry & rhubarb crumble with a little custard.

 I have a new sour dough mother brewing, a fresh batch of buttermilk made, and more yoghurt almost ready.
Tomorrow I'll be using the crockpot to cook the last of my chicken portions, and I'll serve it with the rice I'm soaking. 

Truly, sharing what's happening in the kitchen via this blog is helping me stay on track. 
Hope you're enjoying the visuals along the way!

hugs
Jenny
 


1 comment:

africanaussie said...

Wow your corn fritters look awesome! I would think you would have to add an egg to bind it together? do you make your own sourdough mother occasionally? I really want to try that, but we dont eat much bread.