Monday 23 November 2015

Chilli Jam, and some thoughts...

I watch a lot of health documentaries, study the latest nutritional information, and carefully dig through natural health/healing claims for substance because many years ago I read this in Ezekiel 47:12...

"Along the bank of the river...will grow all kinds of trees used for food...their fruit will be for food and their leaves for medicine." (also read Revelation 22:2)  

...and as one who believes God speaks to us both spiritually and practically through His Word I took this very seriously with regards to how I could look after the physical body and improve the health of my family.

There are numerous Scriptures that tell us of dietary advantages using certain foods. Here are a few examples...

"Behold I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the face of the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit. You shall have them for food." (Genesis 1:29)

"Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. And as I gave you the green plants I gave you everything." (Genesis 9:3)
"Let them take a cake of figs and apply it to the boil that he may recover" (Isaiah 38:21)

"You cause the grass to grow for the livestock and plants for man to cultivate, that he may bring forth food from the earth and wine to gladden the heart of man, oil to make his face shine, and bread to strengthen man's heart" (Psalm 104:14-15)

"Sustain me with raisins, refresh me with apples..." (Song of Solomon 2:5)

"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for the sake of your stomach and your frequent ailments." (1 Timothy 5:23)

"...take wheat and barley, beans and lentils, millet and emmer, and put them into a single vessel and make your bread from them." (Ezekiel 4:9)

And don't forget the story of Daniel and his robust health on a diet of vegetables and water. (Daniel 1:8-16) "And at the end of ten days their countenance appeared better and fatter in flesh than all the young men who ate the portion of the king's delicacies."

I don't follow any one of the popular 21st Century diets such as Paleo, Raw Vegan, Low-Carb, I Quit Sugar, Grain Brain etc, but I do believe the abundance of refined and genetically modified foods produced for human consumption in the western world scarcely resembles those described in God's Word as being good for us, so I am slowly and methodically re-educating myself in what constitutes a natural healthy diet "for me and mine".

Some of the important keys -

* choosing ingredients in their most natural state
* foods as free from pesticides as possible
* locally grown in-season
*eating with restraint and not gluttony
* only buying what we need and using it all 
 * writing a weekly menu plan to avoid over spending and wastage

As the months pass I shall update you on how this is coming along in our home. I'm a realist so for sure it won't all flow as smoothly as it could, but the important thing is to keep learning, keep making better choices and let those good changes replace my bad habits.
It also helps to seek the Lord each day, and ask for His guidance. After all this body is His temple and He knows it way better than me.  
(1 Corinthians 6:19)



This Chilli Jam is my husband's favourite savoury topping on macadamia crumbed chicken, or spread across toast with cheese and avocado.
I'm sure it's the subtle hints of cardamom, star anise and caraway which make it so delicious because  spices and herbs are wonderful for bringing added flavour to most recipes.

I first tasted it with eggs, bacon and sweet potato fritters at the Paleo Cafe here in Townsville, so I bought their cookbook to make it at home.
The only tweak made in my version was to omit the water, add a teaspoon of caraway seeds, and cook all day in the slow cooker to intensify the flavours.

Ingredients:

2 red capsicums, seeded and finely chopped...


One red onion finely diced...


As much dried (or fresh) chilli as you like...


2 star anise
the seeds from 3 cardamom pods
1 teaspoon caraway seeds...


150ml  (5 oz) organic apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup raw untreated honey 



 Cooking:

Place everything in a pot and bring to the boil.
Then simmer slowly for a couple of hours to intensify the flavours and thicken the jam.

Remove from heat and cool before storing in an airtight container in your fridge.


Enjoy!




hugs


2 comments:

Águeda said...

Resulta muy interesante ver la diferencia que hay en el aliño de los ingredientes, según la costumbre de cada lugar. En este caso, yo hago una receta parecida con pimiento y cebolla, pero nunca se me hubiese ocurrido ponerle anis estrellado. Voy a probarla enseguida.
Gracias por compartirla. Tu post es enriquecedor, tanto para el alma, como para el cuerpo. Un beso.

Brenda said...

Jenny, Such delight I received reading your post today about the Lord providing for us! Great words to live by are not always easy to do. Several years ago, Kevin had his first heart attack and after we began to take eating seriously. We began to relearn how to cook, omit the majority of canned foods and prepared foods, plus using new recipes and natural ingredients. I have lost over 30 pounds since that time and so has hubby. I will definitely be trying this recipe! We received a Crock Pot for Christmas last year from my parents and I truly enjoy using it. Thank you for sharing and have a wonderful creative day!

I also want to let you know that for some odd ball reason my lap top will not always let me type a comment. But, I want you to know that I do always read your posts!