Sunday 3 March 2013

Planning simply...

A major headache for me is planning meals ahead of time.
My day to day design work can lead me off on a journey that shows no respect for regular meal times, and rushing to shop for ingredients at the 11th hour makes the responsibility even more frustrating.
Discovering that I have allowed my life to run this course brought a huge sigh of dismay, a few tears, and then a kick in the butt to self. 
I can do better than this.
I have done better than this.


Assessing how best to utilise my kitchen time gave me much to ponder these last few days. 
I have a tendency to shoot for the moon, where in reality, a good earthly  meal would suffice.


My husband and I do not like eating many grains these days, so salads and stir fries are our common fare. I've decided to experiment with a different array of meat & salad meals, adding in other proteins like beans, chick peas, yoghurt, eggs etc for variety.


Slow and steady. Mix it up a bit - fish, lamb, chicken, beef, as well as legumes.


Experiment with different dressings.


Use fresh ingredients as much as possible, and let their flavours shine through.
This is do-able. 
This is healthy.
This must be a priority.

...Warm Lamb Salad & Tzatziki...


Season small lamb fillets with salt and pan fry in butter and garlic until browned and slightly caramelised. They should still be pink in the middle when you take them out of the pan. Leave the aside to rest while you make the Tzatziki.

Grate 1/2 cucumber into a large cup of Greek yoghurt / grate one garlic clove into the yoghurt mix. Finely chop some coriander (cilantro) leaves and add to the Tzatziki. 

In a large bowl toss some fresh rocket, chopped cherry tomatoes, curly green lettuce, slivers of red capsicum, whole snow peas, and sliced red onion.

Shake equal quantities of lemon juice and olive oil, a sprinkle of sea salt, and a dash of maple syrup, in a small jar.

Toss the salad in the dressing.
Finely slice the lamb fillets and add to the salad.

Place the warm lamb salad onto your plates and dollop tzatziki across the top.

Simple, fresh, healthy.

Now to keep it up!

Hugs
Jenny



No comments: