Thursday 29 August 2013

Wednesday's fare...

Planning ahead...
On Tuesday night before bed I made some preparations for Wednesday.
A new sour dough starter using organic rye flour...

Brown rice and almonds soaked in water and lemon juice; new recipe for yoghurt in the easiyo container; plain flour soaking in yoghurt and whey...
 

Breakfast...
Wednesday morning and I finished the soaked oats from the day before with my remaining blueberries and unsweetened almond milk. Served with a freshly ground and brewed black coffee...
 Lunch...
 Just like the day before, I was once again busy in my sewing room all morning, so I forgot about food until my husband reminded me to eat. We are in the tropics and it's incredibly hot in the sewing room when the afternoon sun hits my window so I do all my sewing prep and design sketching between 8-12 every day, leaving the kitchen fun for afternoons.

The flour I'd soaked was ready for baking into orange and raisin scones, so after being stored unopened in it's box for over two years I finally used my baking stone to cook them on!
I love the rustic flavour...

These scones are very different to my usual fluffy white fare; these are incredibly hearty and tasty so just one served with some butter and organic honey filled me up quickly.  I finished lunch with some freshly sliced pineapple.
 

Afternoon...
Mid afternoon I made an almond milk smoothie with 1/2 banana, one passionfruit, a tablespoon of sugar free protein powder, and a generous grating of fresh nutmeg across the top.
Nutmeg is one of my comfort foods, reminding me of my Nana who raised me and liberally scattered nutmeg across all her milk puddings...

More prep...
The new recipe for yoghurt my friend Ruth shared with me was fantastic! 
From the one litre of yoghurt I poured half into a cheesecloth lined sieve to make labne - a soft cheese. A few hours later I already had 1/2 cup of whey drained off and there was a lovely cream cheese consistency evident. It should be perfect later today!
 
I'll be able to use the whey for soaking my seeds, nuts and grains. 

The evening meal..
I strained and rinsed the soaked brown rice and almonds to make a vegetable Pilaf...
...and chopped a few cups of leek, carrot, celery, asparagus, and snow peas.
I also prepared chopped coriander and parsley to stir through before serving.
 

45 minutes later my Pilaf was ready...
...served it with a small piece of crispy skin salmon!

This meal was quite seriously the yummiest one I've made in months. I'm so glad I have plenty leftover for dinner on Thursday! I originally learned the recipe when doing the Nourished Kitchen online course in 2009.
I love going back over those classes because it reminds me 'why' I choose to eat better.

hugs
Jenny

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You can keep my share of salmon, but the rice looks yummy!