Tuesday 16 August 2011

Days 12 & 13...

Remember I showed you how I soak my rice with water and lemon juice the morning before I want to cook it? If you don't do this already, I'd like to encourage you to try it. The rice takes on a beautiful softness - so smooth in texture and tasting better than I can communicate in words. My family notice it, and that's a big statement from them! ;-)
Last night's dinner was this wonderful rice with a simple chicken stir fry...
 
Even 18yo son ate it, so I was impressed. To bless him for giving this a go (he's never been keen on stir fry), today I made one of his favourite foods - sushi with smoked salmon. 
 I also made sushi for myself, but omitted the smoked salmon (yuk!) and added avocado and wasabi to the carrots and cucumber instead.

We've had a glut of strawberries this month and I can't stop myself from buying them each time I pass through the fresh produce aisle at the supermarket because they are so cheap! 
Of course, there are only so many fresh strawberries we can eat, and I needed to use up the overflow of red pretties, so today I made a couple of jars of Strawberry & Vanilla Jam. 
The thing with jam (jelly if you're in the USA) is that most people only make it if they are going to be preserving a large number of jars, but I like to make it even if there's only enough fruit for one or two jars. It gets eaten very quickly here, so I only have to pour boiling water into the glass jars and don't have to seal them.
Today I had 341g of sliced strawberries...
...and I added 225g extra fine (castor) sugar that I've had in  jar with 2 vanilla beans for a few months. 
I put the sugar and strawberries in a saucepan with the vanilla beans, and added 2 tablespoons of lemon juice...
Mash the strawberries in the pot, then bring it all to the boil. Turn the heat down to medium and stir frequently. When the fruit becomes quite rich in colour, take a little onto a teaspoon to see if it gels and doesn't run. If it sets quickly it is ready. This took around 12 minutes for me today.
Pour into jars and cool...
I added a paper lid and some ribbon to one jar and gave it to my daughter, Kezzie. 
I also took some Pumpernickel Bread to Kezzie's. This is such an easy recipe and the bread is delicious - especially with my Strawberry and Vanilla jam!
So how am I feeling at almost the end of 2 weeks of Accountability?
Maybe you can tell by my photo...
I have established the habit of daily granola, lots of salad (we had steak and a large salad for dinner tonight), no caffeine, choosing a variety of grains other than wheat, and walking everywhere I can. 
Tomorrow is day 14, so time to start some serious exercise. (the Zumba Basics dvd might actually find it's way into the dvd player!)
I'll let you know how I go.
So tell me, how are *you* going??
Hugs
Jenny
 

2 comments:

africanaussie said...

I had already decided I had to try the rice soaked in lemon juice, it looks yummy. I have been having a glass of 2 Tbs apple cider vinegar in water as my pre-dinner "cocktail" It is supposed to reduce the GL load of the meal. I was a bit down during the week, but the scale was looking good this morning. I need to remember this is a long term thing..LOL. Have you tried chia seeds? They are full of omega 3, and add bulk and lots of other good stuff. I like being your "healthy eating buddy" this was good idea, and thanks for posting your lovely recipes.

Jenny of Elefantz said...

Yes, I add chia seeds to my morning granola, and occasionally in a blueberry smoothie. :-)
Good on you for joining in - I appreciate having a buddy with this!
Hugs
Jenny